Monday, April 6, 2009

Opening Day




Since I went to my first baseball game 37 years ago, I have seen many things, including the World Series (Game 4 in 1977 when Lou “effing” Piniella robbed Ron Cey of a home run (and me of a home run ball BTW), and two of the greatest games in baseball’s long and storied history (Game 4 of the 1986 ALCS when Hendu took Donnie Moore deep and the instant classic of the 2009 WBC Final 10 inning stress test between Japan and Korea). But two things among many I had yet to see were a no-hitter and an Opening Day game.
A couple of years ago, I came close to a no-no when Pedro Martinez, pitching for the Mets, went 7 1/3 of no-hit ball against the Dodgers. This year I was finally able to go to an Opening Day-and I was disappointed.
Despite growing up and maybe a tad cynical in many ways, I have always maintained a child like innocence when it came to our nation’s pastime. Maybe because even at a young age, I was able to discern that it was more entertainment than a do or die thing like so many Yankees’ and Red Sox’ fans deem it to be. That is why steroid infested warts and all, I have managed to maintain a love for the game.
This year, in Anaheim, I was able to attend the Angels season opener against the Oakland A’s. It was everything a fan could imagine it would be. Fireworks, jet fly bys, pomp and circumstance galore made it a fine evening in Orange County. But despite the fact that the home boys won the game 4-0 behind nice guy Joe Saunders pitching (his mp3 interview will be up on this blog tomorrow) and timely hitting by the likes of just as nice guy Howie Kendrick (how could a guy named Howie not be nice?), it frankly had the excitement of well…it wasn’t.
Perhaps I am still deconstructing that Japan/Korea game, which I may have to do in writing. But perhaps that in this troubled economic and social times, this corner of my childhood may be eaten up. I hope not. Happy Opening Day everyone. MT

No comments:

Post a Comment